Our acrylic model ship display cases are ideal for displaying model ships, large or small. As nice as model ships look they are dust magnets, and also interesting enough to attract prying fingers, which can damage the delicate parts of your model. As well as the dust and the physical damage that can affect your model ship, there is also the possibility of the light damaging it.
We have the perfect solution, we can make an acrylic display case to your exact sizes.
This will make dusting a lot easier and less stressful, the acrylic will need only a light dust, and Mr. Sheen furniture polish adding once a month. The acrylic will block over 90% of harmful UV light while still being easily visible. Acrylic is actually clearer than glass as well, so has great clarity. Also the protection from prying fingers goes without saying. The worst you will have to face is polishing a finger-mark off the outside of the display case. Not the nightmare scenario of having to re-attach parts of the ship model. Please read through the below information first, and then visit the custom display cases section to choose your new display case. The display case with a wooden base is the one that can be made the largest.
To get the shipping cost you just add one to your cart and then once in the cart screen you can change the dropdown box to your area/country to see the shipping costs and options. It normally takes about 7 – 10 business days to make your model ship display case.
Potential Model Ship Display Case Problems
Because the display case must go over the top of the model you need either to have as much clearance between the top of your model and the ceiling as the height of the display case you are buying, or you would need to put the display case base on a lower table and then add the model and the display case cover, and very very carefully lift them all onto the surface you are displaying it on. Luckily it shouldn’t need moving again as it will be safely protected. Obviously this will make access to your ship quite difficult. If you need regular access to your model ship then this can make things quite difficult.
What Size Ship Display Case
This is entirely down to your personal choice, but here are a few considerations.
- If the display case is displayed at a height where you have to look up at it then you won’t need much clearance above the mast.
- If the display case is displayed low, where the top of the mast is below eye level then it will be advisable to have extra clearance above it. This will stop the display looking cramped.
- The distance between the model ship and front and back of the display case (the port and starboard) isn’t too important. We recommend at least 25mm to allow enough space to put the cover on, without catching your model. If you allow more, it will give you the possibility of moving the model ship backwards or forwards to allow for a plaque, or something similar to be added at a later date.
- If you are displaying anything else in the showcase then place it on a desk with your model before measuring. Dont forget to allow some clearance.
- Our sizes listed on the website are always the inside sizes of the display cases. This means you do not need add clearance for the thickness of the acrylic and base for inside sizes. If space is limited around where you are placing your model then you need to know the external sizes of the display case. Use the display case calculator to calculate the price of the display case you think you need. Next, contact us to find out how much to allow so that the outside size will fit in your display area.
Where can my Display Case be Delivered to?
We deliver worldwide, but there are countries that we don’t ship to at all due to high risk of breakages. Also the larger the display case then the more limited places our couriers can reliably deliver to. Please contact us for more information. If we can help you, then we will.
When should I buy the display case?
Our customers have very mixed views on this, some customers buy the display case before they start building the model. This has the advantage that your model is protected from the moment you start work on it. The disadvantages are that you have to be 100% confident of the finished size. A mistake will be costly as custom made products cannot be returned. Also if it is going to be a very large model you will need help to remove the display cover every time you do some work on your model. This may limit the amount of time you can spend working on it.
Other customers wait until their model is finished before buying a display case for it. This has the advantage that you know absolutely the finished size of your model. Much less chance of the wrong size being ordered. But the disadvantages are that you will have to find some other method of protecting the model from dust and damage while it is being built. This may restrict the times you get to work on your model.
In 1925, my grandfather made a diorama of a sailing ship. Over the years it has been passed down to me and I wanted to ensure that it was displayed in a protective case. I found your company on the internet and provided all the required dimensions and details. When the custom made case arrived, I was greatly reassured when I saw the care that had gone into the packing to ensure that it arrived undamaged. The case and base were superb and made me feel very happy that I placed my order with you. If I should need a display case in the future I know exactly where to go.
Very many thanks, Jacqueline – Surrey.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes